VFW Post 76 Sam Houston Post is the oldest and largest Post in the
State of Texas; organized and chartered in San Antonio on 26 June 1917
by the Veterans of the Spanish American War. The 10th Street structure,
also known as the Petty House, was sold to the Sam Houston Post 76 in
June 1947, and has since been used as the Post Headquarters, a place to
serve and honor our veterans, and a social center open to the
Current membership includes veterans of World War II, Korea, Vietnam, the Persian Gulf War, Afghanistan and Iraq conflicts.
This property is significant because it is the only remaining house
of the pre-1900 neighborhood previously known as the Milam Bend. The
home represents a period in the late 19th and early 20th centuries when
San Antonio was becoming a modern city. The Petty House is a San Antonio
Historical landmark and as of 2017, a Texas State Historical landmark.
The VFW traces its roots back to 1899 when veterans of the Spanish-American War
(1898) and the Philippine Insurrection (1899-1902) founded local
organizations to secure rights and benefits for their service: Many
arrived home wounded or sick. There was no medical care or veterans'
pension for them,and they were left to care for themselves.
In their misery, some of these veterans banded together and formed
organizations with what would become known as the Veterans of Foreign
Wars of the United States. After chapters were formed in Ohio, Colorado
and Pennsylvania, the movement quickly gained momentum. By 1915,
membership grew to 5,000; by 1936, membership was almost 200,000.
Since then, the VFW's voice had been instrumental in establishing
the Veterans Administration, creating a GI bill for the 20th century,
the development of the national cemetery system and the fight for
compensation for Vietnam vets exposed to Agent Orange and for veterans
diagnosed with Gulf War Syndrome. In 2008, VFW won a long-fought victory
with the passing of a GI Bill for the 21st Century, giving expanded
educational benefits to America's active-duty service members, and
members of the Guard and Reserves, fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The VFW also has fought for improving VA medical centers services for women veterans.
Besides helping fund the creation of the Vietnam, Korean War, World
War II and Women in Military Service memorials, the VFW in 2005 became
the first veterans' organization to contribute to building the new
Disabled Veterans for Life Memorial, which opened in November 2010.
Annually, the nearly 2 million members of the VFW and its
Auxiliaries contribute more than 8.6 million hours of volunteerism in
the community, including participation in Make A Difference Day and
National Volunteer Week.
From providing over $3 million in college scholarships and savings
bonds to students every year, to encouraging elevation of the Department
of Veterans Affairs to the president's cabinet, the VFW is there.